Posto Chicken or chicken in poppy seed is a traditional Bengali gravy dish. I would describe it as tender chicken curry in thick gravy of poppy seed & melon seed.
This is a different style to eat chicken combined in poppy seed gravy. Poppy seeds add special nutty flavour to the recipes. Their flavour is somewhat augmented by roasting them in a pan under mild heat. Gentle frying releases special aromatic essential oils in the seeds and add to their crunchiness but here I have used the paste.
I read a lot about this recipe on various blogs and sites before actually doing the experiment but finally adopted the recipe from an old Bengali magazine because of trust in authentic Bengali cuisines and my uncle who translated the recipe to me giving me confidence to cook in the same traditional Bengali style and without any doubt now I can thank uncle as it did came out yummy.
While searching for variations of this recipe, I came around a beautiful picture of Posto Chicken on this site.
|Tips: If you fry the chicken pieces before adding them in the onion paste it will give a crunchy taste.|
|Tip: For best taste and flavour make this posto chicken in the morning and serve at dinner time.|
Ingredients for Posto Chicken
- 1 Kg Chicken pieces
- 150 gms onion (Grinded to paste)
- 2 inch “ginger
- 6 to 7 garlic pods
- 3 to 4 green chillies
- 200 gms capsicum
- 50 gms yogurt
- Salt as per taste
- Sugar as per taste
- Red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoon poshto (Poppy seed soaked in water)
- 3 teaspoon melon seeds (soaked in water)
- 150 gms mustard oil
- 3 cups of water
- 2 teaspoon ghee
Method for preparing Posto Chicken
- Make onion, ginger, garlic and chilli paste.
- Marinate chicken with turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, yogurt, paste of onion, ginger garlic and keep aside for an hour.
- Meanwhile make a paste of poppy seed with 2 to 3 green chillies and set aside.
- Make melon seed paste and keep aside.
- Grind capsicum also in pureed paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan, Add onion, and ginger garlic paste. Sauté till golden brown in colour.
- Add marinated chicken and keep stirring for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the chicken is roasted add poshto paste and red chilli powder. Keep stirring.
- After a few minutes add melon seed paste as well with salt and sugar as per taste followed with 3 cups of water. Let the chicken boil in this gravy till it becomes soft and tender.
- Once chicken is cooked add capsicum paste and keep stirring. Let it cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- At last add Ghee and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with your favourite Indian bread or rice.