This sweet Spiced dish called Carrot Apple Christmas Pudding brightens the Passover dinner plate. This is just like traditional Christmas pudding, but with less fat. The house smells great all day long. It’s wonderful served with rum or brown sugar sauce. For variations, even try chocolate sauce or serve it with some other Christmas treats like the Plum cake and my special Christmas Drink Called Red Cranberry Mojito. Be creative and add Christmas decorations to the plate before serving. You can actually try to steam it and make it. It comes out wonderfully moist and flavorful. I have given it as Christmas gift many times and it’s always very well received by all my friends and family.
Ingredients for Carrot Apple Christmas Pudding
- 5 Carrots (peeled and grated)
- 2 Apples (peeled, cored and grated)
- 1 cup Raisins (optional)
- 1 cup Fine Bread Crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Ground Allspice
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 2/3 cup Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 Eggs
Instructions for Carrot Apple Pudding
- Add the carrots, apples, raisins, and bread crumbs in a bowl.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and all spice in a separate small bowl.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, and eggs in a separate large bowl; stir in the flour mixture. Add the carrot mixture and mix well.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly-greased, 2-quart mold.
- Place a steamer rack at the bottom of a large deep pot. Set the filled mold on top of the steamer rack and pour enough water into the bottom of the pot to cover the bottom 2/3 of the mold.
- Bring it to boil… over medium heat and then bring it to simmer, so that you can add water occasionally to maintain the water level.
- After the given time period, remove from water and allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning out the mould onto a plate.
Now for the added pleasure of having this awesome pudding with Brown Sugar Sauce, let’s prepare the tasty sauce with the quick steps below
Ingredients for Brown Sugar Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter, salted or unsalted, well chilled cut into 8 pats
- 1/2 tsp salt (if using unsalted butter)
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla or maple extract
Instructions for Brown Sugar Syrup
- Combine brown sugar, corn-starch and salt in a saucepan.
- Add warm water gradually, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat, until thick and smooth (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla.
- Serve hot.