The word Thandai means a coolant and it’s called so because of the milk, nuts, herbs and spices used in this drink that balances the heat in the body. This Kesariya Thandai Recipe drink is made mainly with milk and almond. The other ingredients which are added are saffron, poppy seeds, melon seeds, rose petals, cardamom, fennel seeds and sugar. Adding cashew and pistachios are optional.
The best thing about thandai is that it can be reserved in the refrigerator or can be freeze in ice cream mould to create your very own Kesariya kulfi or Saffron ice-cream which kids would love to eat.
|Tip: If you are making the paste then soak the almonds and other ingredients over-night, If you are making a powder then you could make on the same day.|
|Tip: You can use fresh or dried rose petals to enhance its flavour.|
|Tip: Dry grind all the ingredients until fine powder and store it in refrigerator in an airtight container.|
|Tip: Try to add 1 cup whipping cream along with half a tin of condense milk to the same recipe and freeze, It will turn into delicious ice-cream.|
Ingredients for making Kesariya Thandai Recipe
- 1 ltr full fat milk
- 5-6 tbsp sugar
- few rose petals or dried ones plus some more for garnish
- a pinch of saffron strands
- few almonds chopped
- few cashews chopped
- few pistachios chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp rose water essence or water
For the paste:
- 24-25 almonds
- 10-12 cashew (optional)
- 10-12 pistachios (optional)
- 5 tbsp melon seed
- tbsp poppy seed
- tbsp fennel seed
- tbsp white peppercorn or black peppercorn
- 4-5 green cardamom
How to Make Kesariya Thandai Recipe
- Soak all the spices and nuts in water for about 7 to 8 hours.
- Strain the mixture, Peel the almonds and ground the soaked mixture along with all spices to form a smooth paste by adding little water.
- Boil the milk until it states to get reduced. Meanwhile add saffron strands to some hot milk and place aside.
- Now add sugar, grounded paste and some dry fruits if you wish to add in the milk.
- Simmer for 4-5 mins until it slightly thickens. Also add the saffron infused milk.
- Strain the milk again preferably or you could have as it is. Add some rose water or any flavoured essence of you choice. Allow to cool once at room temperature and then place it in refrigerator in a mud pot.
- Garnish it with chopped dry fruits like pistachio and some fresh rose petals.