There are many ways to make Jaljeera and usually it is served before the meal as an appetizer. Many restaurants whch have full thali meal on their menus, serve Jaljeera at the beginning, as it aids digestion. Jaljeera or Cumin based drink effectively quenches your thirst along with increasing thr appetite. It even combats Sunstroke, indigestion and dehydration because of its cooling effects.
Whenever I tend to eat more than I should, and realize that I’m gonna have a party in my stomach later on… then I always prefer to have this drink. The best part about Jaljeera is it goes great with gol gappa / Puchka / pani puri or whatever you like to call it.
|Tip: Just mix tamarind chutney with this drink and a sweet and spicy water will be ready for your puchkas.|
|Tip: You can combine all the ingredients in dry form and can even use this powder in any kind of Indian Chaats, chutneys or even jellies.|
|Tip: Garnish the drink with boondi (crisp & fried gram flour tiny balls) & mint leaves.|
Ingredients for Jaljeera Drink
- 1 tablespoon Seedless Tamarind soaked in water
- 1/4 cup Mint Leaves
- 1/2 cup Coriander Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Roasted Cumin Seed Powder (Jeera Powder)
- 1 teaspoon Black Salt
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 1 teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)
- Sugar as per taste
- A pinch of Chilli Powder
- Water as needed
- Ice Cubes (for garnishing)
- Boondi for garnishing
Method for making Jaljeera
- Roast the cumin seeds and fennel seed on a hot tawa until golden brown, remove and crush it into powder.
- Grind the mint leaves and coriander leaves with sufficient water into a smooth paste.
- Soak tamarind into water for half an hour, and then mash it. Add few tablespoon of water in the rest of the pulp and squeeze the pulp. Keep aside.
- In a big bowl, add water, tamarind extract, mint-coriander leaves extract and all the other spices. Check the taste and adjust accordingly. Once all the spices are mixed and it’s ready.
- Strain through a strainer
- You can chill the whole drink in refrigerator for couple of hours or have it with ice cubes.
- Before serving garnish with boondi balls, mint leaves and lemon wedges, sprinkle some chaat masala for added flavour.
Good thing about jaljeera recipe is that even kids can make it easily with no sweat, and the best part about this healthy drink is that it can have numerous tasty and healthier versions based on your taste buds and preferences or even based on the availability of the ingredients at home 🙂